Box Office: 'Shrek' wins Memorial Day weekend as 'Sex' stuns in third
'Prince of Persia' sneaks into the second slot
An extra day of moviegoing this holiday weekend has only made one franchise's return even more disappointing than expected.
In something of a surprise, "Shrek Forever After" won the Memorial Day box office frame with $55.7 million. This gives the reportedly "final chapter" in the "Shrek" franchise $145.5 million to date. That's a far cry from "Shrek the Third" which had reached $217 million at this juncture three years ago with cheaper ticket prices and on less 3-D screens. At this point, "Forever After" should reach $225-250 million before "Toy Story 3" arrives to dominate the box office on June 18.
This weekend's expected winner, "Sex and the City 2," fell steeper than expected with just $37.1 for the four-day weekend a new five-day total of $51.4 million. That won't even match the original's $57 million debut which was achieved in just three days, not five. It's seems likely unkind reviews about the sequel diminished any chance "SATC2" had to expand beyond it's hardcore fanbase and a third installment is seriously in doubt.
Sneaking by the "SATC2" ladies for second place found Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer's "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" with only $37.8 million. The rumored $200 million budgeted adventure has to be a big disappointment for the Mouse House and proves Jake Gyllenhaal's transition to action star isn't an easy sell.
Next weekend's releases include "Get Him to the Greek," "Splice" and "Killers."
Final box office totals will be released on Tuesday.
News From Our Partners
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'