Box Office: 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' tries to hold off 'The Help,' 'Final Destination 5' Friday
'Glee: The 3D Concert Movie,' '30 Minutes or Less' disappoint
It's going to be very tough for "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" to hold on to the top spot for a second weekend in a row. "Apes" had a stellar debut and strong midweek numbers, but "The Help" and "Final Destination 5" are providing a potent challenge to the box office crown.
"Apes" won Friday with a $8.1 million day for $84.5 million so far. The critically acclaimed Sci-Fi flick should find $20-22 million for the weekend and come painfully close to crossing the $100 million mark.
In second place, "The Help" was just behind with $7.6 million and $17.5 million since debuting on Wednesday. Substantially shattering pre-release polling predictions, "The Help" is on its way to also selling $20-22 million of tickets over the 3-day.
Scaring audiences in the third slot was "Final Destination 5" with $7.3 million. One of the more review-friendly installments in the long-running franchise, "FD5" is looking at $18 million for the weekend. That's actually lower than what WB was hoping for and would be significantly less than "The Final Destination's" $27 million debut in 2009.
Beginning an exclusive two-week run, "Glee the 3D Concert Movie" made $2.75 million in just 2,440 theaters. Considering the higher ticket prices that has to be disappointing for 20th Century Fox. At best, "Glee" could belt out $7-8 million by end of day Sunday. That's even less than "The Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience" which bombed with just $12.5 million in Feb. of 2009.
Look for final weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?