Box Office: 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' hits $90.2 million as 'Bridesmaids' grabs the bouquet
Jack Sparrow is now the overseas champ
Walt Disney Studios had hoped "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" could be the first $100 million opener of 2011, but they'll have to make do with a still potent $90.2 million debut.
"On Stranger Tides" found itself with the biggest opening of the year, besting "Fast Five's" $86.5 million, but it also benefited from higher IMAX and 3D theater ticket prices. At a reported cost of $250 million, Disney is probably breathing a sigh of relief that "Pirates" continues to overperform outside the U.S. In fact, "Pirates" set an overseas record this weekend with $256.3 million in ticket sales. Domestically, it's going to have a tougher sell over the upcoming Memorial Day weekend with the debuts of "Kung Fu Panda 2" and "The Hangover, Pt. II."
Sticking to the second slot with an amazing hold was Universal Picture's comedy "Bridesmaids." The R-rated laugher dropped only 20% for another $21 million and $59.5 million in just 10 days. The Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph hit will have major competition from "The Hangover, Pt. II" beginning Friday, but a final tally of $100 million is not out of reach.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Still taking audiences for a ride was another at no. 4 was another Universal Pictures release, "Fast Five." The "Fast and Furious" sequel found another $10.6 million for a domestic cume of $186.2 million and a mammoth $500 million plus globally. "Fast Five" will certainly pass the $200 million mark before the end of the month.
"Rio" was able to mine $4.6 million from the left over family business "On Stranger Tides" didn't snatch up over the three-day frame. The 20th Century Fox animated musical has found $131.6 million to date.
Debuting in just six theaters, Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" grossed a superb $579,000 and $96,500 per screen. That's Allen's best per screen ever and beats his previous personal best of $86,000 for "Bullets Over Broadway."
Final weekend results will be released on Monday.
News From Our Partners
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed