Box Office: No 'Blair Witch' curse as 'Paranormal Activity 2' scares to No. 1
'Jackass 3-D' has a strong $7.7 million Friday for second place
If part of Paramount Picture's business model is to make cheap, disposable films you can't argue with it after Friday's results at the box office.
Showing there is no "Blair Witch" sequel curse for the "Paranormal Activity" franchise, "Paranormal Activity 2" opened to a scary $19 million including $6.3 million of midnight sales. Unlike the original which had a gradual, but impressive rollout last year, "PA2" opened wide and could make anywhere from $33-38 million by the time the weekend is done. That would easily surpass the biggest weekend of its predecessor which was $21.1 million. Considering how little the film cost (reportedly $3 million) and how little Paramount spent on advertising, "PA 2" should be a cash cow for the studio.
Speaking of huge moneymakers, Paramount's "Jackass 3-D" dropped to the second slot with a strong $7.7 million on Friday. That brings the stunt filled comedy's eight day gross to $73.1 million. So in a little over a week, "3-D" has surpassed "Jackass Number Two's" total box office of $72.7 million. Pretty remarkable for a 10-year-old franchise. And yes, $100 million is not out of the question.
The third slot went to the Bruce Willis and Helen Mirren thriller "Red" with a good $4.5 million and what could be anywhere from $13-15 million three day gross. With $33 million so far, the Summit Entertainment release is looking like it will top out at $65-70 million at best.
Expanding to 2,181 theaters was Clint Eastwood's "Hereafter" in the fourth slot with $4 million. The Matt Damon drama should gross between $11-13 million for the weekend.
Far behind in fifth was critic's favorite "The Social Network" with another $2.25 million and what should be a $6-7 million frame. The Oscar contender has grossed $67.9 million to date.
Look for updated weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix or sign up for our breaking news alerts to get instant notification.
News From Our Partners
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)