Box Office: Moviegoers make Friday a 'Date Night' with Fey and Carell
Romantic comedy knocks 'Clash of the Titans' from the top spot
Friday night hasn't exactly been a ratings winner for NBC in sometime, but that changed yesterday. Unfortunately, it was in movie theaters and for rival media conglomerate Newscorp. 20th Century Fox's "Date Night," starring "30 Rock's" Tina Fey and "The Office's" Steve Carell, opened at the top of the box office Friday with an impressive $9.3 million. If estimates hold, the positively reviewed comedy could finds itself with $24-26 million by Sunday. Industry tracking showed the film could open bigger, but Fox will have to hope the two stars appeal to older audiences will result in sustained playability over the weeks to come.
Falling to the second slot, as expected, was "Clash of the Titans." The criticism of the epic's last minute 3-D conversion hasn't slowed, but the film still pulled in $8.5 million for a new total of $8.5 million. The Sam Worthington action flick should still pass $100 million by Sunday and in only 10 days. Warner Bros. will take that thank you very much.
"How To Train Your Dragon" continued it's strong holds with another $ 7.1 million. The DreamWorks Animation film is a critical success and is hoping to reach "Madagascar" box office levels at the box office before "Iron Man 2" wipes every competitor away in a few weeks. It's a tall order at this point with only $115.2 million in the bank so far.
Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married Too" had a big drop from its opening Friday to only $3.5 million and a new total of $41 million. Still, Perry's latest will pass the original's final cume of "$55 million within the next few weeks and is in earshot of becoming his second biggest grosser ever if it can surpass the $63.2 million "Madea's Family Reunion" made in 2006.
Meanwhile, "Hot Tub Time Machine" continues to defy the odds. After opening below expectations three weeks ago, the comedy pulled in another $1.78 million on Friday for a new cume of $33.2 million. Yes, wonders never cease to amaze us or the box office gods.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama