Box Office: Moviegoers accept 'Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol' with $8.6 million Wednesday
'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' snags strong $5.1 million
The holiday weekend box office kicked off a tad early this year as two highly anticipated films debuted Wednesday hoping to turn 2012's tailspin around.
Brad Bird's live action debut, "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol," grossed $8.6 million including $2 million in Tuesday night shows as the fourth installment in the franchise expanded to non-IMAX screens nationwide. Counting Friday's IMAX cume, "MI4" has already found $25.7 million. Overseas, the results are even stronger as Cruise's star power has fueled $85 million. That's pretty impressive these days considering the picture doesn't have higher 3D ticket prices and IMAX's penetration is not as strong as it is stateside.
David Fincher's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" came in second with $5.1 million including $1.6 million from Tuesday night engagements. Considering that "Dragon Tattoo" is a staggering 2 hours and 40 minutes, Sony Pictures has to be relieved with the film's performance so far. At a reported $140 million, "Tattoo" will need long legs and strong international grosses to break even.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
"Chipwrecked" benefited from more kids being out of school as it found $3.5 million and $33 million to date. Unfortunately, Alvin and the gang have a lot more work to do if they hope to catch "Alvin and the Chipmunk: The Squeakquel's" $219 million 2009 take.
Disappointing a bit in its U.S. opening was Steven Spielberg's "The Adventures of Tintin." The critically acclaimed 3D animated adventure found just $2.3 million on Wednesday. Industry observers have long known that "Tintin" would make it's mark overseas where the Herge creation is much more popular. It's grossed over $240 million internationally so far.
Look for continuing box office updates throughout the holidays on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office