Mel Gibson tries taking 'Avatar' to the 'Edge' of box office domination
Can James Cameron's blockbuster hold off Gibson's comeback?
It would be a big surprise if James Cameron's "Avatar" didn't win its seventh straight weekend, but based on Friday's box office the challenge from Mel Gibson's "Edge of Darkness" is slightly more serious than industry pundits believe it would be.
"Avatar" grossed another $7.5 million on Friday for a staggering new domestic total of $572 million. If recent trends hold, the Oscar frontrunner should end up with around $20-22 million for the weekend and is within days of topping "Titanic's" $600 million record.
Gibson's first starring role since 2002's "Signs," "Edge of Darkness" found $5.7 million for what could be a $16-18 million opening frame. "Darkness" is performing right on target, but could "Avatar finally be slowing down? Sunday's estimates will tell the tale.
Among other newcomers, "When in Rome" slightly overperformed Friday with $4.3 million. The Josh Duhamel/Kristen Bell romantic comedy was only projected to do a weak $9 million for the weekend, but a slightly better $12-14 million looks more likely. That's not the result Disney was hoping for, but new studio head Rich Ross isn't making things easy without a new head of Marketing place yet. They all can't be easy smash hits like Johnny Depp's "Alice in Wonderland" is expected to be.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013