Box Office: Low budget 'Devil Inside' scares up big numbers for top spot
'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' hangs in at No. 2
As further proof that audiences love a good post-holiday scare, the micro-budget exorcism drama "Devil Inside" is on its way to a record-breaking opening weekend. The Paramount acquisition scared up $16.8 million on Friday (boosted by stellar midnight numbers), and should end up with around $30 million this weekend, which would make it the biggest debut for a film to open in the first half of January.
In the tradition of the "Paranormal Activity" franchise, the faux documentary -- about a woman who takes part in multiple exorcists after her own mother was possessed -- was picked up by Paramount's new micro-budget arm Insurge Pictures for a paltry sum of $1 million. The film made back twice that number in midnight showings alone. Although most reviews have been negative, the film's weekend figures are bigger than Paramount initially predicted, driven by younger audiences.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Bumped from the top spot is last week's No. 1 grosser, the Tom Cruise sequel "Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol," which picked up another $6.2 million on Friday. It's expected to make around $19 million this weekend, bringing its domestic total up to a formidable $169 million.
Another sequel, "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" came in third, nabbing $4.2 million. The Robert Downey Jr. film is currently up to $147.6 million. "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and "War Horse" round out the top five, earning, respectively, $3.5 million and $2.6 million.
"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" snuck into the top 10 after expanding its theater count to 800 (from 57). The John LeCarre adaptation, starring Gary Oldman, earned $1.7 million on Friday, bringing its domestic total up to $6.3 million.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike