Box Office: 'Little Fockers' stays at No. 1 with 'Tron Legacy' on its heels
'True Grit' solid at No. 3
Before most of America gets together with their families for the Christmas holiday, a good portion of them took to the theaters Thursday to enjoy the comedic stylings of "Little Fockers." The third Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller tête-à-tête found another $7.2 million on Thursday for a two-day total of $14.4 million. While solid business, that's far behind the franchise's previous installment, Meet the Fockers," which grossed $24.2 million over its first two days in 2006.
Nipping at "Fockers'" heels was Disney's "Tron Legacy" with another $6.1 million and a seven day cume of $68.2 million. "Legacy" will easily pass $100 million domestic, but whether it can truly become a franchise hit remains to be seen.
Hitting the trail in third was "True Grit." The Coen Bros. Western grossed another $5.7 million for a two-day gross of $11.2 million. The critically acclaimed potential Oscar player is now looking at anywhere from $25-30 million for the five-day holiday.
"Yogi Bear" drummed up some more family business for fourth place with $3.8 million and $28 million so far. It will battle "Fockers" and "Gulliver's Travels" for major family coin during the holiday break beginning tomorrow.
"Black Swan" also continued to impress with another $1.8 million in just 1.462 theaters and $22.4 million so far. "Swan" should easily pass $50 million by the time Oscar nominations are announced on Jan. 25.
Besides "Guilliver's Travels," "The King's Speech" expands nationwide tomorrow.
Look for continuing box office updates throughout the weekend.
News From Our Partners
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)