Box Office: Liam Neeson's 'The Grey' has a colorful debut at No. 1 Friday
Did 'One For the Money' benefit from a Groupon promotion?
Liam Neeson has had quite a bit of success the past few years with January and February action flicks. "Taken" became an early blockbuster in 2009 and "Unknown" did solid business almost 12 months ago. That was one reason why new distributor Open Road wanted to open Joe Carnahan's "The Grey" this weekend. And it appears to have worked. The wilderness tale found solid reviews and $6.5 million on Friday. "The Grey" should gross between $17-18 million for the weekend which would be a positive start for the adult demoed thriller.
Debuting in the second slot is the Katherine Heigl action comedy "One For the Money" with $4.1 million. The Lionsgate release offered discounted tickets through Groupon and Living Social, but its unclear how much that affected the film's grosses. "Money" could end up with $12-13 million for the three-day. That's just below the debut of Heigl's "Life as We Know It" in October of 2010. That romantic comedy actually had a solid multiple and grossed $53 million overall domestically. Considering "Money" currently has a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes its hard to see that sort of word of mouth this time around.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Fourth place went to LucasFilm's "Red Tails." The admirable WWII story found another $2.8 million on Friday for $26.1 million in its first week. George Lucas, who produced the Anthony Hemingway picture, spent $58 million of his own money to finance "Red Tails," but he's unlikely to ever break even on it and he doesn't seem to mind either.
Summit Entertainment's "Man On A Ledge" barely rounded out the top five with $2.5 million and, at best, an estimated $6-7 million for the weekend.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'