Box Office: Leonardo DiCaprio tops Angelina Jolie as 'Inception' stays at No. 1
'Salt' still has a very strong debut with $12.7 million
She may have crisscrossed the world and hit Comic-Con in a last minute push to promote "Salt," but Angelina Jolie couldn't overcome the incredible hold of Leonardo DiCaprio's "inception."
The Chris Nolan thriller grossed another $13.3 million on Friday to remain on top of the box office with a new cume of $113.4 million after just eight days. With an under 40% drop expected for the rest of the weekend, "Inception" should be close to $145-150 million by end of day Sunday. Not too shabby. Not too shabby at all.
Jolie isn't necessarily complaining however. After a shaky start, Sony Pictures found the sweet spot in its marketing campaign for the convoluted thriller and grossed a strong $12.7 million on its opening day. With better than expected reviews, "Salt" is looking at anywhere from $40-45 million for the weekend which would be an excellent start for the approximately $100 million budgeted action flick. Now, whether a sequel will be developed will depend on how well it plays overseas. Still, it's a strikingly similar result compared to "Wanted" and "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" which both debuted to $50 million.
The third slot went to "Despicable Me" which no looks like it will pass the $200 million mark following a superb third Friday take of $7.3 million. By the end of the weekend, the Universal Pictures animated comedy should have over $160 million in the bank and officially be a megahit for a company that really needed one.
Another newcomer, "Ramona and Beezus," debuted in fourth with a weak $2.9 million. At best, the Fox and Walden Media family flick could reach $10 million over the 3-day, but its another marketing and distribution question mark after a very weak summer for 20th Century Fox.
Disney's "Toy Story 3" appears to finally be slowing down with another $2.6 million and possibly $10 million for the weekend. With $372 million so far, the magical $400 mark is only a few weeks away.
Look for a complete rundown of this weekend's box office results tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season