Box Office: 'Inception' is no 'Schmuck' as it wins the weekend again
'Charlie St. Cloud' has a huge fall Saturday
"Inception" continues to prove that Chris Nolan may be the next big "brand" filmmaker. His critically acclaimed thriller overtook surprising competition from "Dinner for Schmucks" to win its third straight weekend at the box office with another $27.5million. With $193.3 million domestic so far, a massive $250-275 million isn't out of the question. To have more than one picture pass that mark puts Nolan in some pretty select company.
"Schumucks" didn't have a big jump on Saturday as the Steve Carell and Paul Rudd comedy scored only a reported "B" cinemascore with moviegoers and looks to gross $23.3 million for the three-day. Carell's "Date Night" found a similar $25 million in April for what turned out to be an impressive $98 million gross. Whether "Schmucks" can manufacture the same positive word of mouth as "Date Night" remains to be seen.
Angelina Jolie's "Salt" dropped to third in its second frame with another $19.3 million and a new cume of $70.8 million so far. That's pretty solid, but the Sony Pictures release looks like it will end up with no more than Jolie's last action flick, "Wanted," which ended up with $134 million two years ago.
"Despicable Me" is anything but as the 3-D animated comedy found another $15.5 million and a new total of $190 million. The last Universal Pictures release to cross $200 million? "The Bourne Ultimatum" three years ago.
Among other new releases, "Cats and Dogs 3D: The Revenge of Kitty Galore" scratched a disappointing $12.5 million (even with higher 3-D ticket prices) and after a solid Friday opening, Zac Efron's "Charlie St. Cloud" crashed for an estimated weekend take of $12.1 million.
Next weekend's new releases include Will Ferrell's "The Other Guys," "Step Up 3D" and "Middle Men."
Final box office actuals are released on Monday.
News From Our Partners
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
- Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My?
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced