Box office: 'Hunger Games' dethroned by 'Think Like a Man' on Friday
Romantic comedy over-performs while 'The Lucky One' also opens strong
Did you hear the cannon?
"The Hunger Games" -- which has ruled the last four consecutive Friday box office battles -- has finally been slain in battle.
Screen Gems' "Think Like a Man" placed No. 1 on Friday. The romantic comedy topped expectations with $12.2 million, including a healthy $500,000 in Thursday midnight receipts. Expect the film to earn around $20 and $25 million for the weekend.
Based on Steve Harvey's relationship advice book, "Man" stars Kevin Hart, Gabrielle Union, Romany Malco, Meagan Good and Michael Ealy.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
That leaves Lionsgate's "Games" far behind at third with $4 million. But don't feel too sorry for Katniss and the other tributes; the domestic cume for "Hunger Games" is now $346 million, while its worldwide gross stands at well over half a billion dollars.
Meanwhile, Disney's newest documentary about the animal kingdom, "Chimpanzee," opened at No. 4 with $3.5 million, while Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard's horror headspin "Cabin in the Woods" closed out the top five with an estimated $2.4 million.
Next week sees the wide releases of "The Five-Year Engagement," "The Raven," "Safe" and "The Pirates! Band of Misfits."
Look for updated weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts