Box Office: 'Fast Five' races to record midnight opening
Vin Diesel-powered film on track for year's biggest opening weekend
Universal's "Fast Five" is off to a huge head start on the competition at the box office this weekend. In a record for the franchise, the film pulled in $3.7 million from midnight screenings last night from just 1,100 theaters. It's on track to gross between $72 and $80 million over the weekend, which would be 2011's biggest opening so far. Looks like summer movie season has officially started!
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
The midnight total for 2009's "Fast and Furious" was $1.8 million, eventually earning $155 million domestic.
Starting today, "Fast Five" is appearing on 3,643 screens in the U.S. The film is already doing big business overseas, where it is No. 1 in all the territories it's playing in.
"Fast Five" stars Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Jordana Brewster and Tyrese Gibson.
Read Drew McWeeny's review here.
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy