Box Office: 'Eclipse' has single-day record in its sights after $30 million midnight
'New Moon's first record doesn't stand long
"New Moon," we hardly knew ya. Only eight months after "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" set a midnight record for $23.5 million in ticket sales, the third installment in the "Twilight" phenomenon, "Eclipse," has surpassed that total with an estimated $30 million in sales for Tuesday into Wednesday.
Part of the increase has to be credited to the inclusion of IMAX screens for "Eclipse," but that isn't enough to account for the $7 million jump. What might have assisted in the increase is the fact "Eclipse" has opened in 4,416 theaters, the largest number in history. Summit is still calculating the final total at this time.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
In other box office news, "Toy Story 3" continues to play to the masses with another $8.9 million on Monday for a new cume of $235 million. It's expected to quickly relinquish the top spot to the "Eclipse" vampire saga.
"Eclipse" will also face competition from the opening of "The Last Airbender" on Thursday.
Look for continuing box office updates throughout the July 4 holiday weekend on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.