Box Office: 'Contraband' takes Friday with a strong $8.7 million
'Beauty and the Beast 3D' can't dance to 'The Lion King 3D's' grosses
Universal Pictures' 100th anniversary year got of to a positive start as the Mark Wahlberg thriller "Contraband" grossed $8.6 million on Friday. The thriller should make between $25-27 million for the weekend. That would be a bit better than the $21 million Wahlberg's R-rated thriller "Four Brothers" found in 2005 and a bit under the $35 million 2010's "The Other Guys" grossed.
In second place, the re-release of "Beauty and the Beast" in 3D grossed $5.6 million. That's definitely lower than "The Lion King's" 3D opening in September ($8.9 million), but "Beast" should easily make around $17-18 million for the three-day. Considering the original film is 20 years old and will hit Blu-ray this month, it's extra revenue Disney won't mind adding to the bottom line.
Warner Bros.' "Joyful Noise" swung into third with $3.3 million. That's a bit under pre-release expectations and the Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah might only find $10 million for the three day and possibly $13 million for the four-day Martin Luther King Day frame.
Right behind "Noise" was "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" with $3.2 million. The fourth "Impossible" flick has now grossed $178.5 million and could become the first installment in the franchise to cross the $200 million mark domestic since "M:I 2" since 2000.
Last week's surprise champ, "The Devil Inside," had a massive drop to fifth place with another $2.7 million and $41 million in eight days. That's a sign of very bad word of mouth - even for a horror movie - but considering it only cost under $1 million to acquire its still a very impressive profit margin for Paramount.
The Weinstein Company expanded "The Iron Lady" to 802 screens and the Meryl Streep Oscar performance contender pulled in $1.57 million for a $1,958 per screen. "Lady" could easily gross $4-5 million for the four-day holiday frame.
Look for updated box office results tomorrow on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)