Box Office: 'Clash of the Titans' slays moviegoers with a $26.4 million Friday
'Why Did I Get Married Too' overperforms and 'Dragon' stays strong
The reviews haven't been kind, but that didn't stop audiences from making "Clash of the Titans" a must-see on Friday. The Louis Leterrier remake of the 1981 camp classic pulled in a mammoth $26.4 million on its opening day. Combined with Thursday night's sneaks, "Titans" has grossed $29 million so far. Even with increased 3-D prices, that's an impressive debut. Especially with last weekend's champ, "How To Train Your Dragon," still on a large number of 3-D screens. If trends hold, "Clash" could end the three day with $65-70 million.
Jumping into the second slot was Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married Too." The melodrama found $12.3 million on Friday and could make between $26-28 million through Sunday. That's a startling take for a sequel of a film that opened to only a $7.4 million opening day and $21.3 million weekend in October of 2007. More surprising, since it wasn't reviewed for critics, "Married" had the better reviews (relatively) than "Clash" or "The Last Song."
"Song," which debuted on Wednesday in the top slot, fell to fourth with $7.1 million. By Sunday, the Miley Cyrus romantic drama should have around $25 million in the bank.
Falling to third, but down minimally from its debut was the critic's and audience favorite "How To Train Your Dragon." The best reviewed film in DreamWorks Animation's history found $11 million on Friday for what should be a $26-28 million three-day.
Sneaking into the top five was "Hot Tub Time Machine." The raunchy comedy found $2.9 million on Friday for a new eight day gross of $21 million. Word of mouth could propel "Machine" to a new total of $27-29 million by the end of the holiday weekend.
Look for final weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office