Box Office: 'Clash' makes a comeback over 'Date Night' to win the weekend
Fox got a little ahead of themselves declaring the hit comedy No. 1
20th Century Fox really wanted to make sure "Date Night" lead the weekend over the incumbent champ "Clash of the Titans." The studio initially estimated the Tina Fey and Steve Carell comedy would have a much stronger Sunday gross than usual for such flicks and end up with a three-day take of $27.1 million. Instead when Monday morning actuals came in, the result was $25.2 million. Ouch. Therefore, the Sam Worthington adventure stays atop the box office standings with $26.6 million, down slightly from the $26.8 estimate.
These discrepancies rarely occur in the Internet age, but when they do its usually the fibbing studio banking on the public relations advantage of being No. 1 first over any industry embarrassment later. Plus, in this instance, "Date Night" is still clearly a hit, even if the distribution execs at Warner Bros. are no doubt annoyed with Fox's Sunday number game.
As for the rest of the top five, the weekend estimates stayed pretty true to form with "How To Train Your Dragon" down only 14% (versus the reported 12%) with another $24.8 million in the third spot, "Why Did I Get Married Too?" on track with $11 million for fourth and the Miley Cyrus romance "The Last Song" a tad under the original $10 million projection with $9.8 million instead.
Controversy over the 3-D conversion aside, it's worth noting that "Clash" has generated $228 million worldwide in only 10 days.
This weekends new releases include "Kick-Ass," "The Back-Up Plan" and "Death at a Funeral."
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When