Box Office: 'Cars 2' and 'Bad Teacher' power huge weekend
'Green Lantern' falls to third
Not only did "Cars 2" surpass pre-release polling which suggested it could open below its predecessor's $60 million 2005 bow, but it ended up cracking the top 5 of all-time Pixar openings. The $68 million debut was more than enough for Disney execs to breathe easy about its domestic prospects. Especially since it reportedly cost close to $200 million. Luckily, an expected $10 billion in merchandising sales for the franchise overall should more than make up for any loss in theaters.
Also having a fine debut in the second slot was Cameron Diaz's "Bad Teacher." The R-rated comedy pulled in $31 million for the three-day, which was about $6 million higher than industry expectations. After the back to back success of both "Teacher " and "Bridesmaids," lets hope studios decide to let the ladies have their share of non-romantic comedies.
"Super 8" continued to benefit from a lack of adult skewing films in the marketplace grossing another $12.1 million for a new cume of $95.1 million. It will be close, but J.J. Abrams nostalgic adventure could equal its approximately $140 million production budget in ticket sales.
Dropping to fifth was the family friendly "Mr. Popper's Penguins." The Jim Carrey kiddie flick had a lower than expected start last weekend, but grossed another $10.3 million over the weekend for an estimated gross of $38 million in just 10 days.
This week finds the debut of "Transformers: Dark of the Moon," "Larry Crowne" and "Monte Carlo" all in time for the fourth of July holiday weekend.
Final box office results are released on Monday.
News From Our Partners
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?