Box Office: 'Captain America: The First Avenger' pushes 'Harry Potter' aside with $25.7 million Friday
'Friends with Benefits' has good $6.8 million debut
America has another hero on its hands. "Captain America: The First Avenger" had a fantastic opening day grossing $25.7 million on Friday. That's just slightly more than the opening day of fellow Marvel Studios' Avenger "Thor" stormed theaters with in May ($25.4 million) and Fox's "X-Men: First Class" which found $21.3 million (without the benefit of higher 3D ticket prices). Parmount Pictures has certainly sent their last Marvel Studios release out with a bang. "Captain America" should triumph with at least $65 million for the three-day weekend.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Debuting in third with a so-so $6.8 million was "Friends with Benefits." The Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis comedy received more positive reviews that many expected, but isn't performing like fellow R-rated summer comedies "Bad Teacher,""Bridesmaids" or "Horrible Bosses." At best "Benefits" could do $19-21 million for the weekend.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFIx.
News From Our Partners
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn