Box Office: 'Bridesmaids' actual weekend take a bountiful $26.2 million
Kristin Wiig comedy has higher per screen than 'Thor'
After a stellar Friday and Saturday, Universal Pictures provided a very conservative Sunday estimate for their new comedy "Bridesmaids" opening weekend yesterday. The studio projected a $24.4 million debut. When the final receipts came in on Monday, the film actually brought in a celebratory $26.2 million.
Defying conventional box office patterns, "Bridesmaids'" Sunday take, $7.82 million, almost equaled its Friday gross, $7.834. Saturday was a strong $10.5 million. Unless it's a blockbuster, even Sunday grosses in the summer tend to be 20% off a Friday debut. This signals great word of mouth for the Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo written comedy and Universal should expect a solid hold next weekend.
With the final numbers in, "Bridesmaids" also ended up with the highest per screen of the top 25 grossing films in the country with $8,995 per. "Thor" remained in the top slot for the second weekend in a row with a per screen of $8,757 in over 1,045 more theaters.
The only significant new release this Friday is "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" which should affect "Thor" much more than "Bridesmaids."
News From Our Partners
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend