Box Office: 'Battle: Los Angeles' assaults 'Rango' for no. 1
'Red Riding Hood' hoping for matinee business and 'Mars' needs moviegoers
Any concerns that moviegoers would be too overwhelmed by today's Tsunami coverage to watch a disaster movie such as "Battle: Los Angeles" were completely unfounded. The Sony Pictures genre flick grossed an impressive $13.5 million on Friday for what could be a $36-40 million weekend. That was more than enough to take down last weekend's champ "Rango."
The critically acclaimed animated hit found another $5.4 million on Friday for what should be an $18-20 million three-day gross. The Gore Verbinski and Johnny Depp reunion flick has now made $51.1 million in just eight days.
Not far behind on Friday, but expected to drop to third for the weekend was "Red Riding Hood." Catherine Hardwicke's "Twilight" follow up ground just $5 million for what optimistically could be a $16 million three-day gross. That's under pre-release polling which anticipated a $20 million debut. Chances are the teenage girls who planned on seeing "Riding Hood" opted to attend "Battle: LA" with their boyfriends.
"The Adjustment Bureau" came in fourth with $3.4 million and $30.4 million since it debuted last weekend. The Matt Damon and Emily Blunt thriller should eventually finish with between $60-70 million domestically.
Cracking the top five, but a huge financial disappointment for Walt Disney Studios was "Mars Needs Moms." The last Imagemovers digital film made just $1.8 million for what would be a $6-7 million three-day at best. That's close to a disaster for the studio considering the film's $150 million price tag.
Look for final weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts