Blur, Gorillaz frontman Damon Albarn releasing collaboration set as DRC Music
Listen: Singer/producer sits down with Dan the Automator, Richard Russell, more
Damon Albarn next recording project is a little more unconventional, even by Gorillaz standards.
The singer/songwriter/producer is releasing "Kinshasa One Two," a set recorded in the Democratic Republic of Congo over five days earlier this summer. Under the moniker DRC Music (we see what you did there), the Blur/Gorillaz frontman collaborated with a number of local Congolese artists and some others better known in America. XL Recordings executive Richard Russell, Dan the Automator, Actress, Kwes, T-E-E-D (Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosurs), Jneiro Jarel, Marc Antoine, Alwest, Remi Kabaka and Rodaidh McDonald will appear on the set.
Pitchfork reports that Warp will drop 14-track album digitally on Oct. 4, with physical out in stores starting Nov. 8.
And it's all for a good cause, too: the proceeds from the album's sale will go to Oxfam, to assist with aide in the Democratic Republic of Congo during its time of political and civil unrest.
Below is the tracklist, and three songs from the set.
Albarn has already had a busy summer. He debuted his opera "Doctor Dee," a collaboration with stage director Rufus Norris, at the Manchester International Festival in June.
Here is the tracklist for "Kinshasa One Two":
1. Hallo [ft. Tout Puissant Mukalo and Nelly Liyemge]
2. K-Town [ft. N’Gotshima and Bebson]â€¨
3. African Space Anthem (A.S.A) [ft. Ewing Sima of Tout Puissant Mukalo]
4. Love [ft. Loveâ€¨]
5. Lingala [ft. Bokatola System and Evala Litongo]
6. Lourds [ft. Yende Bongongo of Okwess International]â€¨
7. Respect of the Rules [ft. Loi X Liberal]â€¨
8. We Come From the Forest [ft. Bokatola System]
9. Customs [ft. Bokatola System]â€¨
10. Virginia [ft. Magakala Virginia Yollande and Yowa Hollande]â€¨
11. Ah Congo [ft. Jupiter Bokondji and Bokatola Systemâ€¨]
12. Three Piece Sweet part 1&2 [ft. Bebson]â€¨
13. If You Wish to Stay Awake [ft. Washiba]
14. Departure [ft. Bokatola Systemâ€¨]
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room