Beyonce's '4' debuts at No. 1 on The Billboard 200
How did new albums from Scottie McCreery, David Cook, Big Sean and Selena Gomez fare?
Beyonce’s “4” makes it four at the top of The Billboard 200 album sales chart. This new set is the diva’s fourth No. 1 – which is pretty good, considering she’s put out only four studio albums. The album moved 310,000 copies last week, though sales-wise coming in behind the debuts of her three other albums: 2008's "I Am ... Sasha Fierce" had 482,000; 2006's "B'Day" had 541,000; and 2003's "Dangerously In Love" had 317,000.
That being said, the entry is the third biggest of the year, behind Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” with 1.1 million and Adele’s “21” with 351,000.
Speaking of “21,” it climbs up from No. 3 to No. 2 with 92,000 copies, a sales decline of 10% over the previous week.
Selena Gomez & the Scene’s third album “When the Sun Goes Down” has a No. 4 start with 78,000 sold. It ties her charting best (2010’s “A Year Without Rain” also bowed at No. 4, with 66,000) and becomes her sales best. Her first album “Kiss and Tell” debuted at No. 9, also with 66,000, in 2009.
Last week’s chart-topper, Jill Scott’s “The Light of the Sun,” slips from No. 1 to No. 5 (55,000, -60%) and Jason Aldean’s “My Kinda Party” rises No. 10 to No. 6 (48,000, +20%).
“American Idol” champion David Cook’s sophomore set “This Loud Morning” bows at No. 7 with 46,000 – sluggish compared to his 2008 self-titled debut, which took No. 3 with 280,000.
A different reality television competition show star – Jackie Evancho of "America's Got Talent" fame – has her “Dream With Me” fall from No. 4 to No. 8 (44,000, -43%). Royce da 5’9” and Eminem’s Bad Meets Evil project “Hell: The Sequel” dips No. 6 to No. 9 (42,000, -33%).
Another “AI” star, this past season’s champ Scottie McCreery, sees his Wal-mart exclusive EP “American Idol Season 10 Highlights” enter with 40,000 at No. 10.
Sales are up 7% compared to the previous week and are up 14% compared to the same week last year. Sales for the year are up a solid 1%.
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video] Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best?
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)