Be like Mike: LeBron James to appear in 'Fantasy Basketball Camp'
NBA MVP will play himself in new Universal comedy
Like former NBA league MVP's, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Dr. J, Michael Jordan and Shaquille O'Neal before him, LeBron James is heading to the big screen to star in a big Hollywood movie. And like MJ in particular, he's not stretching himself by playing anyone other than...LeBron James.
According to Variety, King James will star in "Fantasy Basketball Camp" for Universal Pictures and producer Brian Grazer. The comedy will center on five guys from different backgrounds who attend the LeBron James Adult Basketball Camp. The five fans end up dragging James into their own life issues some which are pretty real and others that are pretty ridiculous (think "Dodgeball" meets "The Hangover").
No director or cast are attached yet, but screenwriters Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel are on board. The duo have sports movie experience having written "Fever Pitch" and "A League of their Own." Oscar-winner Grazer has also gone down this road before having convinced Eminem to star in his one and only film, the blockbuster "8 Mile" and producing sports-themed projects such as "Friday Night Lights" and the classic TV series "Sports Night."
Moviegoers can see James in theaters this October in the documentary "More Than A Game" which chronicles the journey of his stellar high school championship basketball team.
Ironically, James may take some advice from his new Cleveland Cavilers teammate Shaquille O'Neal, who tried to make it in Hollywood with "Blue Chips," "Steel" and "Kazaam" with little success (the films obviously got progressively worse.) The reigning NBA MVP is no doubt hoping instead to follow in MJ's footsteps with a massive hit like "Space Jam."
Universal and Grazer hope to begin production on "Camp" during the 2010 NBA offseason. Basketball fans should take note of this news as it would probably means James won't participate with Team USA for the 2010 FIBA World Championships Aug. 28 - Sept. 12. No doubt, coach Mike Kryzewski will be lobbying hard for James to shoot the film in 2011 instead.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"