BBC America sets 'Torchwood' return, 'Doctor Who' special
The week of July 20 will also premiere 'Being Human' and will launch BBC America HD
When BBC America unveiled the teaser trailer for "Torchwood: Children of Earth" just last week, the sci-fi favorite still had a generic July premiere date. Now, BBC America is ready to be a bit more specific.
The cable network announced on Monday (June 1) that the new mini-season of "Torchwood" will premiere the week of July 20 as part of a Sci-Fi Week which will celebrate the launch of BBC America HD.
"Torchwood: Children of Earth," kicks off in high definition on July 20 at 9 p.m. ET. The season will play out over five consecutive nights as Captain Jack (John Barrowman), Gwen Cooper (Eve Myles) and Ianto Jones (Gareth David-Lloyd) face a fearsome new challenge.
In addition to the run of "Torchwood: Children of Earth," that week will also include the third season finale of "Primeval" on Saturday, July 25. The "Primeval" finale will lead into the series premiere of "Being Human," a look at a trio of twentysomethings who also happen to be a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost.
The week will then wrap up on Sunday, July 26 with the American premiere of "Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead," the first of four "Doctor Who" specials wrapping up David Tennant's tenure as Time Lord. The Bionic Woman herself, Michelle Ryan, guest stars as the mysterious Lady Christina. BBC America announced the acquisition of those remaining Tennant specials just last week.
Busy times for BBC America, eh?
"BBC America is a truly unique channel in the cable landscape," gushes BBC America President Garth Ancier in the morning release. "We bring viewers some of the best programs on television and now with the option to experience them in HD, they’re going to be even better. The launch of BBC America HD coupled with the existing VOD channel, BBC America On-Demand, expands the opportunity for viewers and distributors to access the best of British entertainment."
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office