Barbara Walters to end her Oscar Night show
After 29 years, 'The View' host will do her last Oscar interviews in March
That doesn't necessarily sound like a big deal until you realize that "The Barbara Walters Special" has aired on Oscar Night for the past 29 years and that Walters' interviews during that time have included Catherine Zeta Jones, Sarah Jessica Parker, Tom Cruise, Ben Stiller, John Travolta, Mike Meyers, Michael Douglas, George Clooney, Mariah Carey, Faith Hill, Bette Davis, Elizabeth Taylor, Oprah Winfrey, Shirley MacLaine, Sophia Loren, Anthony Hopkins and Michelle Pfeiffer.
Walters made the announcement on "The View" and explained, "ABC has asked me to keep doing these specials as they have been so successful -- and I'm thrilled we have such great stars and have such a wonderful show for this last one -- but to be honest, I feel like I’ve 'been there, done that.'"
The Oscar Night Specials launched in 1981, when her guests included Brooke Shields, Loretta Lynn, Linda Gray, Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach.
"When we first started this special, I don’t think any of us knew exactly how much of an Oscar Night staple it would become," Walters says.
For her final Oscar-themed "Barbara Walters Special," Walters will interview nominees Sandra Bullock and Mo'Nique, as well as presenting a retrospective of favorite interviews from past specials.
The decision to end the Oscar specials won't impact Walters' "The 10 Most Fascinating People" annual special, nor her daily gig on "The View."
Walters' final Oscar special will air on Sunday, March 7, immediately before ABC's Academy Awards telecast on the East Coast and immediately afterwards on the West Coast.
News From Our Partners
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews