'Avatar' makes history as the first film to pass $700 million
How high can James Cameron's blockbuster go?
20th Century Fox had hopes that James Cameron's "Avatar" could be a big success, especially since it reportedly cost anywhere between $300-400 million to produce, but no one associated with the film ever thought it would become the highest grossing film of all time. And yet, even with both the worldwide and U.S. records firmly in its grasp, "Avatar" continues to make history. Saturday, the blockbuster became the first release to hit the $700 million mark domestically when its total reached $702 million.
After an estimated $14 million weekend, "Avatar's" current box office cume now stands $706.9 million. Globally, "Avatar" has reached a staggering $2.481 billion.
Historically, "Avatar" became the second film to join "Titanic" to achieve over $600 million in U.S. ticket sales and $1 billion overseas and worldwide. In the decade plus since "Titanic" only "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" and "The Dark Knight" grossed over $1 billion worldwide.
In terms of grosses adjusted for ticket price inflation, "Avatar" still has a long way to go. Currently ranked at No. 15, it's the only film from the 21st Century in the top 20, but trails 1939's "Gone with the Wind" ($1.5 billion adjusted) and even "Titanic" at No. 6 ($976 million adjusted).
Where "Avatar" will end up is unclear. $750 million U.S. is not out of the question, but the Oscar contender will lose a majority of its IMAX and 3-D screens when "Alice in Wonderland" opens on Friday.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS