'Avatar' hitting DVD and Blu-ray in 2-D on Earth Day
Unclear what special features will be included on April release
With box office receipts dramatically slowing down after the loss of numerous 3-D and IMAX theaters to "Alice in Wonderland," 20th Century Fox announced the launch date of James Cameron's blockbuster "Avatar" on home entertainment today.
Timing to coincide with the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day, "Avatar" will hit Blu-ray and DVD on Thursday, April 22. It's worth noting most home entertainment releases occur on Tuesdays, so Fox is certain to make the Earth Day connection part of it's publicity efforts.
No details were provided by the studio about what if any special features, deleted scenes or audio commentary will be included, but both Cameron and the studio have gone on record previously noting a 3-D version would not be part of the initial release.
"Avatar" has grossed a record $2.6 billion worldwide and $730.2 million in the U.S. alone. Whether it can set home entertainment records without a 3-D angle remains to be seen. The film was also nominated for nine Academy Awards including Best Picture, but only won three in the Cinematography, Visual Effects and Art Direction fields.
Not all "Avatar" fans around the world will be able to purchase "Avatar" on the 22nd. Here is a short list of key international release dates as well as the North American box art.
FRANCE – April 21
BELGIUM – April 21
NETHERLANDS – April 21
SPAIN – April 21
CHINA – April 22
BRAZIL – April 22
RUSSIA – April 22
GERMANY – April 23
JAPAN – April 23
SWITZERLAND – April 23
MEXICO – April 23
UK – April 26
DENMARK – April 27
NORWAY – April 28
SWEDEN – April 28
NEW ZEALAND – April 28
AUSTRALIA – April 29
FINLAND – April 30
ITALY – May 6
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title