Ashlee Simpson-Wentz moves into 'Merose Place'
Pop singer's first regular TV gig since '7th Heaven'
Fresh off her upcoming guest appearance on Wednesday's "CSI: NY," Ashlee Simpson-Wentz (as she'd now like to be known) is heading back to a full time television gig. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Simpson-Wentz will be one of the lead characters on the updated "Melrose Place" expected to debut this fall.
The former chart-topping and lip syncing pop star will play Melrose Place's newest resident, Violet. This small town girl might seem bright eyed at moving to the big city, but behind the facade is a shrewd young woman with a secret. With a wink to the original series, her character was inspired by the original series' blond, Souther-belle starlet Sandy Harling (played by Amy Locane).
Simpson-Wentz joins the previously announced cast members Michael Rady ("Greek," "Swingtown") and Katie Cassidy ("Black Christmas").
When Simpson was making a name for herself in the music world with top ten hits like "Pieces of Me," she was also finishing up two years as a regular on "7th Heaven." She tried to segue into movies with a role in the unwatchable "Undiscovered," but like her sister, Jessica Simpson, a big screen career has proved to be a futile effort. This week's stunt casting on "CSI: NY" marks her first acting gig in almost four years and finds her co-starring with her husband Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz. Watch a clip of Simpson-Wentz's acting prowess below.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season