Watch: Aretha Franklin addresses Grammy performances, health in TV appearance
The Queen of Soul given tribute treatment by Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Hudson and others
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Aretha Franklin missed Sunday's Grammy Awards, but the Queen of Soul was far from forgotten.
The show's first 15 minutes were devoted to Franklin, who was hospitalized last year and has canceled concerts and personal appearances through May.
LL Cool J reminded audience members of Franklin's 18 Grammy wins at the start of the show, just before singers Jennifer Hudson, Christina Aguilera, Martina McBride and others performed a rousing medley of some of the music legend's greatest hits.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
The musical tribute opened with "Natural Woman," before moving into solos of "Respect" by Hudson, "Think" by Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine and "Sprit in the Dark" by Yolanda Adams.
Franklin was a huge fan of the performances, writing in an e-mailed statement, "I LOVED it! The ladies all sounded so wonderful and they looked fabulous.
"I enjoyed each and every performance, especially Yolanda doing 'Spirit in the Dark' and Christina's rendition of 'Ain't No Way.'"
It was an upbeat start to the show and if there was any doubt about Franklin's health, she made her first nationally televised appearance in a taped message Sunday night.
Wearing a white strapless gown, Franklin, 68, appeared to have lost weight, but made clear she had no intention of leaving the music scene anytime soon.
"I wish that I could have been with you all tonight, but since I couldn't — next year, OK?" Franklin said in the taped message.
Franklin had surgery late last year for an undisclosed ailment.
Copyright (2010) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness