AMC mulling talk shows to air after scripted dramas like 'The Walking Dead' and 'Mad Men'
'Walking Dead'-themed pilot episode already shot with Chris Hardwick hosting
In an interesting move, AMC has decided to dip their toe into Bravo-tested waters by considering a new talk show series that would air immediately following their scripted dramas. As a matter of fact, they've already commissioned Michael Davies' Embassy Row Productions, the company behind Bravo's hit series "Watch What Happens: Live", to film a "Walking Dead"-themed pilot episode with TV personality Chris Hardwick as host. If they decide to move forward, expect the as-yet-untitled series to air after other AMC original series like "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad".
As suggested over at Vulture, the decision stems from a desire to retain viewers who normally tune out once the credits roll on new episodes of their original series. Given that talk shows are relatively inexpensive to produce, the network is likely viewing at this as a cheap way to boost audience numbers. Vulture also correctly points out that the hunger for such a "post-game" style series is evident not only from the success of "WWH" but the often-voracious readership of episode recaps on sites like Vulture and Hitfix.
I'll be curious to see how this pans out for the network. It's certainly an inspired idea, but scripted series also lack the train-wreck nature of reality TV that makes the latter ripe for the talk-show treatment. Of course, something along the lines of a staged debate between recently-deposed "Walking Dead" showrunner Frank Darabont and AMC original programming head Joel Stillerman could help rectify that.
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn