Adrien Brody tries to make the leap to action hero in 'Predators'
Can he follow in the footsteps of Maguire, Depp and Downey, Jr. ?
After seeming unhappy working in the green screen and action filled world of Peter Jackson's "King Kong," many wouldn't have expected Oscar winner Adrien Brody to return to the realm of Sci-Fi, fantasy or gigantic monsters anytime soon. Well, in news that will raise many eyebrows across Hollywood, Brody has won the role of the main alien killer in the Robert Rodriguez produced reboot of "Predators."
Variety reports Brody will play a heroic mercenary who takes on the alien hunters and that the actor and his agents lobbied hard for the role. Perhaps Brody sees a steady check in what Fox hopes is a new franchise? Maybe he's been a fan of the original series or just wanted to work with Rodriguez and director Nimrod Anatal? It's unclear at this point, but Brody will join Alice Braga and Danny Trejo in the project.
Rival trade The Hollywood Reporter adds that Topher Grace is also negotiating to join the project. He'd play an expected "accountant-type" who deep down is a serial killer.
Unconventional action heroes have become almost a staple of the last decade with Tobey Maguire, Johnny Depp and Robert Downey, Jr. all making the jump. Can Brody duplicate their success? Moviegoers will be able to decide for themselves when 20th Century Fox opens "Predators" nationwide on July, 9, 2010.
The film will begin production shortly on location in Hawaii and at Rodgriquez's Troublemaker Studios in Austin.
Brody will next be heard as the voice of Rickity in November's "The Fantastic Mr. Fox."
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock