ABC taps Canadian pipeline for 'Copper'
Rookie cop drama follows in the footsteps of CBS' 'Flashpoint' and 'The Bridge'
"Copper" comes from E1 Entertainment and will air in conjunction with Canwest Global in Canada.
The series focuses on five rookie cops entering the world of big city policing. ABC's rather florid release promises, "The series follows this group of new cops just out of the police academy, where they bonded together, fought together, drank together, worked together and slept together. And now they’re on the job together. They’re kids with guns, learning firsthand the hardest kind of policing there is. They’re first responders, and they’re about to learn that no amount of training prepares you for life."
"Copper" will begin production on its 13-episode first season in Toronto starting in June 2009. It was created by Morwyn Berbner, Ellen Vanstone and Tassie Cameron.
"When we initially commissioned the pilot and then the series, we knew that it was a high-calibre production and worthy of international audiences," says Barbara Williams, executive vice president, Content, Canwest broadcasting. "We could not be happier with the partnership and are confident that E1 will deliver a great show for Global and ABC to simulcast."
ABC is attempting to mine a Canadian co-production pipeline that has brought "Flashpoint" and the upcoming "The Bridge" to CBS. FOX is trying its own international trickery with this summer's Colombia-filmed "Mental," while NBC's "Merlin" and "The Philanthropist" have British backing.
News From Our Partners
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013