ABC moves into 'Happy Town' in April
'Twin Peaks'-esque mystery drama takes over on Wednesdays when 'Ugly Betty' ends
ABC announced on Wednesday (Feb. 3) that "Happy Town" will move into the 10 p.m. Wednesday hour after "Ugly Betty" completes its series run, starting on April 28.
"Happy Town" comes to ABC from Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg, who previously brought the network the short-lived "October Road" and the short-lived "Life on Mars."
The drama, influenced equally by "Twin Peaks" and the small-town fiction of Stephen King, is set in Haplin, Minnesota, a community about to be rocked by its first murder in years. Of course, just because Haplin hasn't had murders doesn't mean that things are quiet, since there were a number of peculiar and unresolved disappearances only five years earlier, abductions blamed on the Magic Man.
The new unease coincides with the arrival in town of the dapper Merritt Grieves (Sam Neill) and the lovely Henley Boone (Lauren Germain), who show up for the rural atmosphere and the constant smell of fresh-baked bread, but probably have ulterior motives.
"Happy Town" also stars Geoff Stults, Amy Acker, Frances Conroy, Abraham Benrubi and a slew of other familiar faces.
ABC's Wednesday 10 p.m. slot has already been occupied this season by the swiftly cancelled "Eastwick" and the departing "Ugly Betty."
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds