ABC celebrates 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire'
Regis Philbin and his trivial ways will return to ABC in August
In honor of the programming phenomenon that invigorated the network's schedule and reduced its ratings to rubble, ABC will bring "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" back to primetime this August.
ABC announced on Wednesday (April 22) that Regis Philbin and "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" will return to primetime on Sunday, Aug. 9. The show will air for 11 nights, Sunday-Thursday in the 8 p.m. hour, with the finale on Sunday, Aug. 23.
"Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" premiered on Aug. 16, 1999. The show's popularity increased and exploded and by its peak, ABC was airing "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" four nights a week and the other networks were bringing up less memorable game show knock-offs like "Greed," Twenty-One," "The Weakest Link" and "The Chair."
Not surprisingly, though, when the show's popularity waned, it left ABC's schedule decimated. That, in turn, left ABC with a creative environment open to landmark shows like "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives."
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When