50 Cent's G-Unit signs deal with EMI: What does it mean and why does it matter?
Lloyd Bands and Tony Yayo schedule releases with the major -- but what about Fif?
Banks has already scheduled his next album, "H.F.M. 2" ("Hunger For More 2") for a Nov. 23 release; Yayo will will drop his sophomore set sometime in "early 2011," preceded by the single "Pass the Patron" featuring 50 Cent. Other artists like Mazaradi Fox, singer Governor and Spider Loc are believed to still be part of G-Unit.
This ends months of speculation as to where G-Unit would wind up after its deal with Interscope was up. Industry-watchers thought that G-Unit might sign with Def Jam, where former cohort Sha Money XL holds a position as Executive Vice President. It also beckons back to festive comments 50 Cent made early last month, denying that he had made a deal with EMI subsidiary Capitol.
EMI has the smallest market share of the four majors, and has been struggling with finances over the past year. Their last big hip-hop signing was Cypress Hill and, lately, the major has been prepping catalog re-releases from the Apple Records catalog. The signing is a gamble, but one that could be profitable, should the members of the G-Unit crew move big numbers: Yayo's 2005 debut "Thoughts of a Predicate Felon" bowed at No. 2 on The Billboard 200, and Banks' 2004 set "The Hunger for More" and 2006 album "Rotten Apple" peaked at No. 1 and No. 3 respectively.
The company's press release did not mention any new 50 Cent albums or material besides the aforementioned feature spot on Yayo's single, and only that it was providing the services of distribution and promotion.
Meanwhile, as it is a day that ends in "Y," Fif has started another beef, this time by prank-calling Shyne and posting a video of him doing so this week. Shyne retorted with his own rambling video statement, claiming 50 Cent is stalking him. It's really as exciting as it sounds.
50 Cent has also recently retracted that his next album would be "Black Magic," a dance album inspired by Euro club music.
"I've written the album, 'Black Magic,' but I'm not sure if it'll be my next album," he told Rolling Stone Brasil. "'Black Magic' had a specific vibe to it, a different style of music and I was playing with different song structures, music from different genres like rock music... I've been writing some things that don't quite fit that because so many producers were accumulating material to send me more ideas so when I got back, I was kinda bombarded with a whole lot of production."
Go ahead and file that one away under Albums That Will Never Come Out.
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!