5 things we learned from 4 new clips for J.J. Abrams' 'Revolution'
Upcoming sci-fi/action series will hit NBC this fall
Any project with the words "executive-produced by J.J. Abrams" attached to it is bound to be an attention-getter, and "Revolution" - the new sci-fi/action series that was picked up to series by NBC last week - is certainly no exception. The brainchild of "Supernatural" creator Eric Kripke and directed by Jon Favreau ("Iron Man"), the forthcoming drama focuses on the struggles of a group of disparate individuals to survive 15 years after the world's energy sources suddenly and mysteriously die out.
Now the network has released several new clips and one extended promo for the new series, and below you can check out five things we learned from them (and also watch the embedded videos for yourself). Starring Billy Burke ("Twilight"), Tracy Spiridakos ("Being Human"), Anna Lise Phillips ("Home and Away"), Giancarlo Esposito ("Breaking Bad"), Graham Rogers, JD Pardo ("Twilight: Breaking Dawn - Part 2"), Zak Orth, Marie Howell, David Lyons ("ER"), Tim Guinee ("The Good Wife") and Andrea Roth ("Rescue Me"), "Revolution" is slated to air at 10 P.M. Mondays this fall (see NBC's full 2012-2013 schedule here).
1) Expect top-notch production values
If nothing else, the following clips make one thing evident: "Revolution"'s production values are clearly a cut above that of most other TV fare. With names like J.J. Abrams and Jon Favreau attached we'd expect nothing less, but still, the breathtaking visuals on display make it pretty evident that no expense was spared to make the show at least look fantastic.
2) A single USB device is the key to getting the world's energy sources up and running again
As we can see in the following clip, the character of Ben Matheson (Tim Guinee) backs up some unknown data from his laptop onto a USB device just before the power goes out for good. So what's on it? Something important enough that at the very end of the promo, we see someone who looks like actress Maria Howell (playing Grace) using it to power up a rather primitive-looking computer.
3) Giancarlo Esposito is the steely-eyed enforcer
WHAP! "Let's not forget - you drew first," growls Neville, immediately after delivering a swift backhand across Danny's (Graham Rogers) face during the promo. "That puts your Daddy's blood on your hands, son." Anyone who's watched "Breaking Bad" knows Esposito excels at playing the cold-blooded villain, and he seems to be in fine form here as the right-hand man of David Lyons' General Monroe (after whom at least a portion of the U.S. has now been renamed the "Monroe Republic"). Evidence comes in the form of the following clip, which sees Neville and his militia facing off with Ben and his teenage son Danny - a confrontation that proves to have deadly consequences.
4) One major narrative thrust in the first season will come in the form of a search-and-rescue mission
As evidenced in the below clip, Danny is taken hostage by Neville's militia following the aforementioned showdown, leaving his sister Charlie (Tracy Spiridakos) to plead with her uncle Miles (Billy Burke) to help her rescue him. Judging by the tears welling in her eyes near the end, I'm gonna bet he ultimately doesn't have the heart to turn the poor girl down.
"Owning a firearm is a hanging offense," Neville informs a group of villagers who dare question his authority via the use of loaded weapons. In other words, get ready for more of the old-school swordsmanship that can be glimpsed in the following promo.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
about 16 hours ago
8 days ago
|Discuss Scripted Dramas on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When